Monday, January 24, 2011

Summer heat

We went away over the holidays; nine night down south, Margaret River, Pemberton and near Albany. We had a lovely time away from the garden and it was a bit of a shock when I cam back and saw how much it had grown and how much had actually died while I was away. The temperatures in Perth were mostly in the high thirties during that period and the plants had difficulties coping: not enough water and too much heat.

The green tomato shoots were brown, dry edges around the pumpkins and bed one had a very sad look indeed. But I knew how resilient plants are and got back just in time. I decided to give it a good watering on the afternoon we got back and then applied worm juice, diluted 20 to 1, the next morning.

But there was good news too. The first pepper has reached a noticeable size and the rockmelon is looking more like a rockmelon, hanging from the frame. More fruit has set, about four melons are growing at the moment. I harvested plenty of tomatoes and their taste is sweet and yummy.

The garden sounds have changed. We have more crickets and a few frog like sounds can be heard too. A few native wasps fly about and clean up around the plants.

The potatoes in one of the raised garden beds were getting a bit high and needed more compost to grow well. One of the compost lots was just ready after three weeks in the barrow. The earth was moist, nutirient rich and just right. A few fence droppers and four wooden boards gave the right hold to the new earth. Straw to be added soon as mulch.

Today is the fifth day since we got home and I have been busy pruning, weeding and was cutting many leaves with mildew off the zucchinis and pumpkins. Slowly the garden is getting back into shape. I very much enjoy the many tasks in the garden! They keep me balanced and focused, a bit like meditation where nothing else counts apart from the health and wellbeing of the plants.

I also have joined Permaculture WA and am starting a new gardening network in Mount Hawthorn under the umbrella of Grow It Yourself Australia. Letterdropping in my local area are on my to do list. I also need to get back on the waiting list for free mulch. And the planning for the winter crops need to progress. My moon calendar tells me that the 25 January is a good day for seeding root crops and a ginger bulb in my cupboard started growing and looks promising. Time to put it in the ground later today.

No comments:

Post a Comment