Saturday, February 26, 2011
I sowed beans seeds into one of my raised garden beds, using toilet rolls and good compost. Now wo weeks after putting them into the ground, I realised that the slater must have had a party at that spot. The young shoots were raiserbladed off at the moment they tried to get out of the ground. This has been a lecture for me. I now have removed all straw and exposed the nicely protected area to the sunlight. Only the basil is doing well in there as well, or should I better say it is surviving ok.
Here you go, medals for the cat!
Wednesday, February 23, 2011
The worms still looked healthy about a week ago, with fat rings around their tummies. I transferred some of the fat worms to now live under my banana plant and removed further infected materialm this time into the rubbish bin. But the white fungus signs have come back.
I wonder what type of fungus it is and what I can possibly do with it. Or better against it. I might have to chuck out the worms and somehow sterilise the worm farm before getting another lot. I have plenty of worm juice from the past two-three years so I could do without, but I rather use my veggie scraps for these quiet animals.
The cat gave us another present just after dinner tonight I was surprised to see her come in at her own will, as the house is much hotter than outside since we don not have air conditioning. he had a good reason, wanted o be congratulated for another mouse/rat that she caught and presented us with in the kitchen. Luckily it was dead. I got a ruler and measured it from head to tail: 30cm.
What a cat! Reminds me that it's time to mop the kitchen floor again.
Tuesday, February 22, 2011
The tomatoes are finished and did not produce the yield that I had hoped for. I wanted to make lots of tomato paste, but could not even get together one full batch. The first patch is still growing pumpkins, the zucchinis are finished, sweet potatoes have come up are are doing well. Basil loves the spot and the weather. Ready to think about winter crops. But I might only raise some seeds and not put anything into the ground until it gets a bit colder.
I planted some more beans seeds in toilet rolls straight into one of my raised garden beds and covered the area with straw. The slater population had already multiplied incredibly and the seedlings were eaten as soon as they tried to come out from the toilet rolls. No plants made it past the garden bed rim.
The most success planting and the least slater damage we had in freshly made up garden beds where the slater population was not yet established. Once the plants were off the ground, the damage was minimal. I think this might lead to letting the beds pretty much die down before planting new seedlings, getting rid of all straw and removing the comfortable habitat for the slaters. Fortunately our garden is big enough for thr trial of such procedure. There are plenty of spots that would be suitable for new garden beds. But I might have to sleep over that thought and flag it in my gardening networks.