Saturday, March 5, 2011

Mulch, mulch, mulch

The pile of mulch that was delivered on Monday is 1.5m high and about 6 metres long by 3 m wide. I think it is at least 20m3! It's a big pile! We will shift it by wheelbarrow. How many wheel barrows are needed for the lot?

People busily walking past on their morning walk take pity on me and make respective comments, such as "Big job at hand!" or "Oh my god!" Nobody says the magic words: "Ah, what a big pile, let me help you!"

But I see that this as a task if spread over a few weeks will bring me in good physical shape. I think of it in lots of 10 wheelbarrows. So, whenever I take the shovel into my hand I move at least 10 wheel barrows and if I still feel like it a few more. If possible, I work wrice a day, mornings and evenings. The first days I did not see any difference to the pile, but now it is getting considerably smaller, especially since Julian lend a hand today before lunch.

We have got lots of room on the block. The mulch is composting too, with especially parts of the mulch that have a high green leave component developing considerable heat. Will do wonders for my garden. The slaters will probably like it too. The cat has already embraced the soft bedding for her daytime sleeps. I don't think I need to put the sign up "Free mulch". But that would be my last option if all fails.

I put up a post on the Great Gardens network regarding what treatment the sandy soil would need before the mulch is put down, but I have not received a response yet. They are probably busy preparing for more gardening workshops around WA. The workshops are great, not to be missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment